Thursday, February 3, 2011

3. Virtua Tennis (Dreamcast, PSP, PS3, X360)

While people like to argue what the first video game is, a lot of them say PongPong sucks though.  It's really basic, and probably a good thing to try and program yourself if you were learning a programing language.  I will not recommend you ever play Pong because Virtua Tennis exists.

As is common with the previous two entries, Virtua Tennis has physics and is for the most part incredibly easy to learn.  I say for the most part because I want to say the newer versions have added more buttons.  In the Dreamcast version you have two buttons: hit and lob.  Hit hits the ball back to your opponent (here I am assuming you are at least familiar with the idea of tennis) and lob launches the ball in to the air.  The Dreamcast version has a good chance of having the ball go out of bounds if you lob.  I still recommend it because even using one button the game plays very fluidly.  "This must be what it feels like to play tennis well."

Having each player return the other's shot for more than 3 hits with the racket has the game become a meta-game where you somewhat want your opponent to keep the rhythm of hitting your shots. Asuka 120% Burning Fest (the probably first obscure game on this list (number to be determined)) has a similar feeling with it's parrying system.

For more video game elements, the game features a World Tour mode in which you need to rest, buy clothes, and participate in silly minigames to level up your tennis player.  This can be keeping 3 balls at once in play, knocking over bowling pins, or well, here are the new ones for Virtua Tennis 2009.


and the returning ones (Ones I would be familar with!)


Watching those videos makes me want to play it!  But not the wii version!  If I wanted to do the motions of playing tennis, shouldn't I just play tennis? 

CAN I PLAY THIS NOW?
You'll need to go to a store, but yes I'm sure you can find a copy for the PS3 or the X360.  I assume the newer versions have updated rosters and did not screw up with the wonderful physics.  I have Virtua Tennis 3 (PS3), and play a couple of rounds of it every month.

No comments:

Post a Comment